Sep 24, 2017

The day after my last post

The day after my last post, I decided to take my camera and go back along the Nakagawa River. This first picture is the large pile of rocks that I had seen the day before. The high rock is about the same height as my head would be if I were standing on the water. I can not imagine how much work it took to drag these out of the riverbed and pile them up.

 The next picture shows the bridge. The man was no longer there but you can see the large pile of stones around the base of the support column. The larger rocks are larger than a person's head.


The view I had as a sat and ate my lunch was quite pleasant. There were small birds butterflies, and other insects. I even saw a Kingfisher, kawasemi, in Japanese. They are used as a symbol for the town.


 In the top right corner of the last picture you can see a dam. This dam is only a couple of years old and was built in response to severe flooding five years ago, the year before we moved here. There is a large pond behind it and it seems to be a key point in the system to control the water levels in the river. It looks like it may be a moveable dam, but I can not find a location where I can see the details well enough to be sure.






No comments: