Jan 23, 2011

A new walk around the neighborhood 03

Here is a wider angle view of the tabehodai restaurant that I mentioned yesterday. I was extremely surprised when I saw it because this was the home of what we called "cheap French". The left side of the building was the entrance and a bread shop, but when you passed through you entered a real restaurant. It was quite fancy looking and they frequently had live piano music in the background. The menu contained mostly full meals, four or five courses usually, and they were mostly under 3000 yen - very cheap. We used to go there for birthdays. After you registered with them, each year, they would send a postcard that gave you a 2000 yen five course meal, for you and anyone who came with you. The food was pretty good, too. I was planning to go their for my birthday meal in February. So sad!A little further down the street I discovered a Tengo yakiniku restaurant. This is a large change that covers all of Japan I think. Tengu is a god with an extremely long nose that on masks looks suspiciously like a penis. Anyway the reason I took the picture is to show you how the Japanese put their language into English. Notice the word "Teng" in the lower right corner of the sign. It puts the word "TENGU" into what they think is English. Most Japanese know that the last vowel in most Japanese representations of foreign words is not really their, so they remove the last vowel from purely Japanese words, thinking that it turns them into English. A very glaring example of this is the city of Toronto, Canada. Many (most?) Japanese will call the city "Toront", dropping the last vowel to make it English.Moving on toward home, I passed some sort of office building. Nothing interesting, but their window display had these two model cars. They were about a foot long and incredibly detailed. I spent 10 to 15 minutes looking at them.

No comments: