Jun 2, 2011

During the day on Thursday

 Yesterday I showed the flowers that had been placed in the underpass between the bus stop and the campus. This is the sign that was on the wall over the flower pot. It seems to be some religious group. The writing below the kind of weird symbol says something like 'number one under heaven'. The writing on the horizontal piece of paper above the symbol was so hard to read that I did not bother.
Once inside Miyagi Gakuin U, I headed up to the teachers' lounge to sign in. The door into the mens' room across the hall was open. The temporary partition is something that was only added last year. Before that anyone in the hall had a direct view of the urinals. I thought this was very strange consider that it is a women's university and that it is more than a hundred years old. But then, when I first came here in the late 60s, it was common for men to just urinate on the street.
I only have one class on Thursdays so I leave on the 10:15 bus, if I can make it, if not, on the 11:15 bus. Class ends at 10:10 so sometimes I can make it, if not I sit around and do some work while drinking coffee. On the bus I noticed that they were doing work on the pedestrian overpass at one of the main corners. You can see it on the left. I assume that it was damaged in one of the quakes.
This is at the corner where the roads from Yaotome and Izumi Chuo, the bridge, and the path along the river all come together. As I walked by, I realized that the truck was delivering plate glass to replace the windows that had been broken by the tremors.
As I walked along the river, I saw the fire department was again practicing pumping water out of the river and back into the river. I had seen this before and assumed that they were getting ready to go help out in Fukushima, but this time it was obvious that they were just getting prepared to work on the nuclear reactor that is not to far north of here. Preparation is good!
In the evening I have a class at Tohoku Gakuin U but not at the Izumi campus where I go on Tuesdays. This class is at the Tsuchitoi campus which is on the south side of Sendai Station. I get of the subway at the stop after Sendai and have to walk about 10 minutes to the campus. The building here received a lot of damage during the quakes and the teachers' lounge is on the second floor of a building where the third, fourth and fifth floors are still under reconstruction. The building where my classroom is was undamaged, so that is no problem, but here the stairs have a rope across them with a sign prohibiting access.
My classroom is in the building on the left but the building on the right has a scaffolding on it and it appears to be fairly badly damaged.

No comments: