Mar 10, 2012

Leaving Urasa

 Just outside the temple, I notices that then end of a wall had an animal of some sort carved into the post.
 We, Tony and I, walked back to the station, stopping for lunch on the way. At the corner in front of the station, there is a stone post with a cave carved into the top. Inside is this little Buddhist statue.
 This was the view looking back up the street toward the temple.
 One thing that I always notice when exploring a new area is the large number of open canals and ditches. There are a result of 1,500 years of improvements in the water distribution system so that it efficiently supports the rice paddies, and also drains the built up areas.
 As always I was fascinated by the decorations in the men's room. This was over the sink.
 Back at the station, we found a banner containing the name Bishamonten and a symbol representing him.
 Inside the station building, I found this alto-rilievo, or high-relief, sculpture on the wall. It was inside the Shinkansen area and I was leaving on a local train so I could not get a better picture of it.
 I had to wait for about 15 minutes. I was just going a short distance to another station where I could catch a train that would go under the mountains and take me to the coast of the Japan Sea. From there I would travel west along sea to Toyama Prefecture, where I would meet my wife and visit with my brother-in-law and his wife.
My train arrived and I hoped on.

No comments: