Nov 10, 2008

A Sunday walk in the woods

On Sunday Ian and I met Ken at a train station eight stops west of Sendai. We walked a few kilometers south and entered a beautiful park containing two lakes and a pond. The above picture shows the two of them walking along the lakeside path.
This is a man who was fishing (or maybe sleeping) in the pond. We walked along the opposite shore and I stopped to take the picture. During that entire time, I never saw him move.
The leaves were at their best, but it was a cloudy day so the colors were not quite as brilliant as they could have been. Still, they were beautiful and reminded me of New England. I have read that only New England and Japan have a wide range of fall colors. Other countries apparently have a far more restricted range of colors.
I took this standing on a little bridge that allowed us to cross this little stream that brought rain water down from the surrounding hills.
At one point on the path, they had made a tunnel, apparently because the point that sticks out into the lake is solid rock and impassible.

No comments: