Dec 5, 2008

Tohoku Gakuin University

On Tuesdays I teach at Tohoku Gakuin University. This is the school that Naomi graduated from a couple of years ago, but she was in the Cultural and Linguistics Dept and I teach in the English Dept. I wanted to buy some art supplies so Masayo and I went to Musashi, the largest art supply store north of the Tokyo area. After that we, drove the short distance to our favorite pizza shop and had lunch. The shop is very small but the young master is an excellent cook and the meals are great. We had a salad, a pizza and desert for just over US$10. The master built the inside of the shop himself, including the over and a counter made from 55-gallon drums. The outside was apparently his work, too. This picture shows how little it looks like a pizza parlor.
After lunch, I went to Tohoku Gakuin University where I taught two classes. This picture shows the campus, all concrete. There are trees and grass around the outside but the main part of the campus is all concrete. I teach on the top floor of the second building on the right, just past the elevated walkway.

The following two pictures show the room in which I teach. Compared to Tohoku University, this is heaven - clean with lots of space to move around and observe the students. As you can see, there are individual seats for the student. Each one has a console with earphones, but I do not use this. I play a tape over the room's loudspeakers.

No comments: