Dec 3, 2009

Day 18 - Still at the temple

There were two buildings set to chant the Heart Sutra, so we did it at both. Many of the temples had a main hall and then a secondary hall dedicated to Kobo Daishi. We usually, but not always, chanted the Heart Sutra at each. It really depended on how crowded it was, how we felt, and how much time we thought we had. In the following two picture, I believe that the main hall is in the first picture and the secondary hall in appropriately in the second. One way that you can tell the main hall is by the roof. I do not know what to call this style but it is used on larger buildings.
This is a frontal view of the little building that I showed in a previous post. If I had a large lawn, I would love to have one of these to meditate in and as a place to study.
The next two pictures are statues that the local people have covered with clothing and other brightly colored cloth objects. I was not able to discover who the statues represent.

No comments: