Dec 17, 2009

Day 19 - At Temple #30

I was never sure exactly what the layout of this temple was. We approached it along a paved road and did not pass through a traditional style gate, or any other gate for that matter. We just turned right of the road and we were on the grounds and almost at the main hall, which is the building on the left. I was standing in the road when I took the picture.
A better view of the main hall.
This is the administrative office where we got our books stamped. Notice the Kirin drink machine beside the entrance. The white towels are hanging by the fountain where you wash your hands.
This is the dragon that spews out the water for purifying your hands.
This is a statue of Kobo Daishi and standing beside it is the cartoon character which is used as a kind of trade mark. Near my home in Sendai, hundreds of kilometers to the north, I recently noticed that a store that sells Buddhist paraphernalia has a three dimensional, almost life-sized statue of the same character standing by the road. When I get time I really will have to get more information about this.

No comments: