Feb 2, 2015

A gate and a river

 I wish there had been a person here so you could see how low this gate actually is. When I stood directly in front of the gate, I could see over the top of the little roof that covers it. Many gates, particularly in traditional walls are very low. I believe that the main purpose is Buddhist, to force the person into a state of awareness. This is the same as the walkways in Japanese gardens that are made from irregular stones, again forcing the person to pay attention to the present. One additional point with the low gates is that back in the age of continuous fighting throughout the country, a low gate put the invader at a distinct disadvantage when carrying a sword of spear.
I came to the river and started following a very wide sidewalk. The sidewalk was wider than the water in the river.

No comments: