Oct 9, 2017

Fire Hydrants

Fire hydrants in Japan are quite varied in comparison to those I have seen in the US. This picture shows on beside a building near my apartment. The blue sign gives the address of the building and the white sign has a map with other hydrant locations. I am not sure what the function of the red light is but it is definitely related to the hydrant.


Here is a better look at the connection point for attaching the hose.
 Traditionally, Japanese fire departments are a bit slow in arriving but very effective once they reach the site of the fire. The fire departments practice constantly and have competitions on all aspects of firefighting and life saving. If you will look back a few years in this blog, I posted quite a bit about the station that was near my condo in Sendai. They were one of the best in the country, having received a number of awards and won competitions.

Here in Nakagawa-machi, we do not have our own full time station but when needed the fire trucks come from the next city. It is only a few kilometers away so the arrive fairly quickly. Also, there are active volunteer fire departments in each ward of out town.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This comment from a friend who happens to fight fires here in the USA: (I showed him your blog post).

That looks more like a FDC to me K
Fire Dept. Connection to the building to fill their dry standpipe.
Usually high rises have two sprinkler system risers, one wet/filled, one dry/empty as a backup....
Interesting.
J

Now I can't attest for the accuracy but thought I'd pass on the comment.

Thanks again for your posts.