Oct 28, 2017

I love old buildings


This is a typical street view in the neighborhood where I live. The blue building on the left is a commercial site that houses a company. In the middle is their parking lot. There is no parking on the streets so companies and public sides must have their own parking lots. The building in the distance is the most interesting. It is an old Japanese style structure that in the past must have been the home of a wealthy rice farmer. Until less than 30 years ago this whole area was covered by rice paddies. I've seen aerial photos and there was nothing here except extensive paddies and an occasional house.

The room on the second floor must be very small and was probably built to allow the occupants an unrestricted view of their paddies. If I lived there, I would turn it into a study by adding a desk and bookshelves. Even now, it would be a nice place to work. The other interesting feature is on the right end of the building. They have added a modern-looking wall and an entrance. I did not find a location from which I could get a picture of it, but from what little I could see, the building must now be being used by some sort of company. I assume that this is because anyone who did business with the company would know where it is and others would have no reason to go there.

No comments: