Nov 5, 2017

Go Tournaments

During the last two days I participated in two different go tournaments. This shows the first of the two just before we started. It was held in another town and three of us, the three students in my Friday go class, went together. One of the other students drove. The prefecture sponsored the event so we only had to pay 1,000 yen (about US$10). We were given lunch and there were many prizes and special awards.

I lost my first game to a very strong player who is ranked one step above me. Then I beat another player who was also ranked one step above me. My next opponent was someone I knew. He is in my Wednesday go club. I beat him regularly at the club and was far, far ahead in this game when I made a huge mistake. I knew that I had to make a specific move, but actually forgot to make it, costing me the game. The final score was 31 to 14 and the mistake I made was worth 80 points. I should have won 94 to 31. I was so mentally upset by this lapse that my final game was also a disaster. However, someone came over and asked me not to leave until the awards ceremony was over, however, I was not going to leave because the man who drove us to the tournament came in second in our group.

There 100 or so participants were divide into six groups by skill level (the three of us were in the lowest) and there were first, second, and third places prizes awarded, a certificate, a small plaque, and bags of rice. Once all the competitive prizes were given out. They had a series of special awards. As is usual in competitions for the elderly, there was an award for the oldest competitor. Actually there were two awards, one for the oldest male and one for the oldest female. They got certificates and some rice. Then, they had what they called Madonna Awards. These were for the other three women who competed in the otherwise all male event. Finally, the called me to the front and gave me a special award. They did not say what it was for but it was obviously because I was the only foreigner there. I got two kilograms of rice and a very nice 750 milliliter thermos bottle. In spite of my 1-win and 3-loss record and my terrible play in the third game, it was a very successful day and I actually enjoyed myself.

The next day I played in a neighborhood club tournament. I again had a 1 and 3 record, but I played much better, losing my first game by 4 points and another by only 1.5 points. This time it was free and again lunch was served, a box lunch just like the day before.

The various results showed that the handicapping systems works extremely well. Two of the strongest players were unable to get even a single win and my teacher only one two games.

No comments: