Nov 18, 2010

Near my home 06


The previous pictures were taken on a Tuesday around noon time. On Wednesdays I leave home at about 9:45 and walk to the subway to go to my classes. The new fire station has been open about two weeks but I finally remembered to bring my camera with me. The station has room for six fire trucks, a command car, and an ambulance. You might notice how small the engines are. That is because many of the roads are very narrow and the big trucks can not navigate them. There are some large ladder trucks but this new station apparently will have only trucks that can reach just about any house. They can reach our apartment in less than five minutes. The ambulance is a public ambulance and will respond to a call for free. I have used the service once when I had a bad kidney stone attack early in the morning.The command car and the ambulance are out somewhere. They are usually parked in the right hand bay.
The station is in the middle of the picture. The multistory building is an apartment building that is across the road from the station.

No comments: