Apr 20, 2011

Earthquake Diary 83



 Although this house shifted a little, it does not seem to have had any serious problem which is surprising considering how part of it is on a platform.
 This store lost its front windows and appeared to have had substantial internal damage.
 At first this building looked okay but when I got close I could see the usual blue tarp, hiding substantial internal problems.
 I walked by the place where the banking had collapsed. A crew was hard at work constructing the temporary access road so that they could repair the concrete block banking.
 The next day I went out for a walk around my neighborhood. I saw this styrene dish in the reeds by the river and at first thought it was just gomi, trash. But then I noticed that the reeds were bunched together in order to support it, this meant that it was deliberate. Getting even closer, I realized that someone had used a marker and written "GanbarouTohoku". This means something like "Do your best. Tohoku". These days we are seeing the word "ganbarou" seemly everywhere. The best translation that I can find is "Give it the old college try", but this is usually inappropriate for the context. My diction gives the following: do one's best, work hard to do ..., bear up, hold on, keep up, cheer up, good luck, stick to it, take it easy. It is a verb and the form means something like "let's ...."


At the new fire station, this unusual truck was parked so that I could see the whole thing for the first time. On the back there is a huge fan. I do not know how it is used but I assume that it must at least be employed to blow smoke out of buildings.

No comments: