Jan 1, 2012

Happy New Year

I felt a little strange using that title for this entry, because I have no pictures. We had a big Christmas celebration this year, so my wife and I decided to have a quiet New Year's. On the 31st, we stayed home and watched the Kohaku, a singing contest on NHK Television. It has been broadcast on the evening of the 31st for the last 62 years. It is a contest of the 'best' of the female singers against the 'best' of the males. There is no prize, just the glory of winning. Today I will watch the Emperor's Cup Soccer Tournament final game and then relax for the rest of the day, probably watching the special TV programs.

In the last post, I showed some pictures of the moon. Here is another.

 The wild grass along the riverside is quite artistic and, if you focus your attention so you do not notice the buildings and power lines, it gives a feeling of the wild.
 I had to spent the day at the art exhibit so I was downtown again. This is the Disney store, which has just been redone in order to appeal to your adult women, rather than kids like in the past.

 Looking in through one of the windows. You can see my picture of Hiroshige's wave in the background. The picture frames in the front contain some pictures that would not fit on the walls.
 In the evening, my wife and I went out to eat and walked along the arcade which was decorated for Christmas.
 Another pair of interesting signs.
 The streets are quite bright at night at this time of year.
At the north end of the arcade, the trees are covered with lights and draw a lot of people to the area.

Again Happy New Year!

No comments: