Jan 31, 2009

Art classes

Twice a month on Saturday morning, I go to art class. The teacher does not actually teach me, but does critic when I ask him to and he discusses technical aspects of pictures with me. He is very encouraging, and attending the two hour classes stimulates my desire to draw. I usually do much more work at home during the week immediately following a class than during other times. In the picture below - taken last summer - I was putting the finishing touches on a pen-and-ink drawing of an outdoor Noh stage.


The completed picture is shown below, but please remember that the pictures here do not properly represent the fine lines in the drawing. I use a German drafting pen that makes line that are 0.3 mm in width. The lines in this picture are just sort of lumped together. Also due to the lighting the picture is not black and white as it should be. Actually there is a little gray in the picture as I used graphite to indicate some of the shadows.

No comments: