Jan 20, 2009

Henro preparations

I am finally getting serious about preparations for the pilgrimage. It is now less than a month until we leave for Shikoku.

My walking has decreased a bit since I was sick but I am gradually getting it back up to an appropriate level. The final weeks of the school year and the accompanying extra work - writing syllabuses for next year, giving and grading tests, determining final grades for each student - is taking a lot of time. Also I am now wearing my new shoes all the time. They are from Mizuno and they are designed to correct your posture while walking. This means that I am carrying my body differently, which in turn means I am using different muscles that previously. The salesman said that wearing the shoes is like riding a bicycle, at least in terms of the body parts that are exercised.

I collect the majority of the things that I will carry with me on the walk and weighed them. To my surprise, my estimate of four kilograms for it was high. It only weighed 3.5 kilograms. This means that when I start the contents of my pack will be right around 4 kilograms, not the 5 that I expected.

No comments: