Sep 21, 2009

Day 10 - More walking

This mural was building into the retaining wall beside the road. I thought it was kind of cute.
It was time for a break and both of us wanted to sit down, but there was no place along the side of the road. So, we walked across an empty lot and sat on the sea wall. We each drank a sports drink and had a snack, then as I got up to go, I snapped this picture of Ian.
This was an ongoing construction site and from the looks of things they we going to remove the entire hill. Japan is very hilly, if not to say mountainous, so there is a huge amount of land filling going on. They cut off the tops of hills and dump the dirt in the valleys to make flat land. For years, I have wanted to make a study in which I collected data on land fill and then using the statistics calculate how many years it will be until Japan is completely flat. Considering the amount of land movement going on, I suspect that it would be sooner than we might think.
We crossed a very pleasant river and were getting very close to the town in which we were going to spend the night.

No comments: