Sep 11, 2009

Day 9 - Even more Temple #23

A day or two ago, I showed you the picture on the right. After taking pictures of the tree on the left, which I also posted, I walked over and looked at the statues. They seemed to be Chinese, but I have no idea who they were.
The next picture show a statue that was on a veranda at the corner of a building. It is an old man holding what appears to be a pipe. I was unable to determine the significance of the covered container in the lower right. Since these temples are all connected with Shingon Buddism, even though a few are official connected to other sects, much of the symbolism is esoteric and is only revealed after long study.

As always I was fascinated by the odd shaped trees.

This little guy was holding up the container for incense in front of the main hall.
This is a very well done statue of Amida, the Bodhisattva of Compassion.

No comments: