Jan 7, 2010

Ian's photos 3

This is on the grounds of Temple #1. We did not look around very much because we had to find the store to buy the rest of our outfit and then find the place where we could get our book stamped.
This was very interesting, but as usual we did not have time to track down answers to our questions. This was on the path between the temple store and the grounds of the temple. However it is shaped like the torii that you find at the entrance to a Shinto shrine. The characters at the top read hasshin, which is Buddhist term meaning 'religious awakening' or a non-religious term meaning 'new intention'. I think that both are meant to apply. In this picture I finally have my entire outfit and will official begin the pilgrimage when I walk through this gate, at least according to a nearby sign.
This is the priest putting the first calligraphy in my book.
This statue was on the grounds of Temple #1 and represents a musician but I do not know the significance. Also, notice that someone has placed a bib around his neck.
To be completely honest, I do not remember this pagoda. It was probably on the grounds of Temple #1 but I am not sure.

No comments: