Jan 9, 2010

Ian's photos 5

This picture, which continues from the last post, was taken just a few meters beyond the place where the previous picture was shot. It shows the temple buildings. As I said, we approached from the back of the temple, so the path runs along what is the left wall when viewed from the main gate.
This is me standing at the actual entrance to the temple grounds. I think that I was probably taking a picture when Ian took this one.
Both Ian and I found the wall just below the roof of this building to be extremely intriguing. None of our photos show it very well but you can see some of the detail work - both horizontal and vertical boards and some other details right under the end of the ridge pole.
This is the bell tower in against the brighter sky. The weather was not very good but also it was not raining.
A hexagonal mediation building. This sort of building is very common in Japanese temples. There are both hexagonal and octagonal buildings and I am sure that there is meant to be some reference to a specific Buddhist teaching, but I do not know what.

No comments: