Nov 19, 2014

A final picture of Sakuta Jinja

Just to the north of the shrine I found what appeared to be a newly constructed bridge and crossed to the other side of the river. I walked back to the shrine, which you can just see through the trees, and found stairs leading down to the river. There must be a river god of some sort enshrined here. The path and the stairs would be used during festivals and ceremonies.

If you have been following this photo blog for a long time, you may remember that I have posted pictures of the festival for the river god enshrined near my apartment in Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture. Every year during the summer, there was a festival where they floated colored lanterns down the river. A flat area beside the river was used for singing and dancing. There were also many stalls where people could buy food, beer and Japanese sake.

According to the local news, Sakuta Jinja will have a festival at the end of the month, but I will not be able to attend because of the remaining effects of my recent hospitalization. Maybe I will be able to make it next year.

No comments: