Aug 19, 2008

The weather

For the last week or so, we have been having really rotten weather - cold for this time of year, rainy, and very high humidity. It is almost like the rainy season all over again.

Yesterday I walk 10 kilometers before breakfast and then spent the rest of the day watching the Olympics, reading, and playing with the baby.

Today is going to be much of the same, but with no walking. My muscles need a chance to rest and rebuild, a little R&R for you ex-military people.

Tomorrow I plan to walk before breakfast, again doing about 10 kilometers or maybe I will walk after eating so that I can stop at Starbucks for some coffee on the way home.

On the days when I walk alone, I have found a good way of increasing the value I get from the time. In addition to building muscles for the Henro trip, I have been listening to lectures about Buddhism. Recordings published on the internet by Western Buddhist Order in England are particularly informative. That group is distilling Buddhism so that it is more sensible to the Western mind. Things that belong to Indian, Chinese, and Tibetan culture are noted as interesting but not necessary. For example, belief in reincarnation is something that was adopted from Hinduism, rather than being an innate part of what the Buddha said. Also, their version of Buddhism is totally atheistic, which eliminates all the thousands of gods, who become metaphors and teaching tools. It is all very interesting.

No comments: