Aug 6, 2008

Yesterday Ian was away on a school related trip so I walked alone. I passed the Asahigaoka Station (Morning Sun Hill or Bright Shining Hill). This is a subway station with a combined bus depot and a place where you can rent rooms for meetings. This is the tall building in front in the picture. The lower building behind it is a parking building with a supermarket on the first floor. The building off to the left behind the trees is the Asahigaoka Seinen Bunka Center (the Asahigaoka Youth Culture Center. It is a big complex with rental rooms, theaters and auditoriums, music practice rooms, a restaurant and some other stuff. This is where we usually have the meetings of the Sendai Book Club.




This picture was taken from the same spot. I just pivoted around to my left a little. This is Shinrin Koen Park where Ian and I normally walk on Tuesday mornings. The Asahigaoka Subway Station is directly under me. Ian and I walk along the pavement on the left and follow the valley. Just around the corner we climb up the hill on the left. It is a pretty steep climb but we are both getting used to it and we now circle the park twice for a total of about 5 kilometers before heading for the Kita Sendai Station.




This picture was taken about half an hour later when I had circled around and reached the valley level of Shinrin Koen. This shows the parking garage on the street level and the front of the subway station.










After leaving the park and starting home, I had to climb this one last hill. It is very steep and provides a really good workout. After reaching the top, I walk along the ridge line for about a kilometer and then decend back to the main road for the final two kilometers of the walk.















Last night I went to party at in a friend's apartment. The purpose of the get-together was to watch the fireworks which are an annual part of the Tanabata festival, three days of parades, music, dancing, and drinking. I did not leave until 1:30 a.m. and then walked home, arriving at about 3 a.m. after a seven kilometer hike.

No comments: