Feb 2, 2010

Ian's photos 18

This is an inner garden and the administrative buildings for the temple.
Some pilgrims walking away from the main hall, which is in the background. I have seen statistics that say that about half a million people are on some part the Henro Trail each year. Of that number, less than 1,000 travel in ways other than train, bus or car. And of those, only a couple of hundred actually walk. I think that these people were returning to the tour bus that they arrived on.

I am not sure why but I really like pagodas. Maybe it is because the construction makes them more or less earthquake proof, which is interesting for a tall, thin building made without nails. Or maybe it is related to the fact that the pagoda traces back to stupas which in turn represent the grave of the Buddha. In any case, I love to see them sticking up through the trees.
This is me, of course, sitting at the table in our room in that night's lodging. I was looking, I think, at the map of the next day's portion of the trip. I was definitely drinking the tea and eating the cookies that are always in the room when you enter.
This shows our beds, which we have to make ourselves and then put away again in the morning. There is always a closet in which the blankets go on the top shelf and the mattress on the bottom, which is all very appropriate. You can also see my bald head in the bottom left.

No comments: