Feb 15, 2010

Ian's photos 24

I was the official map reader and navigator for our trek. So every time we stopped to rest, I would get out my book of maps of the Henro Trail and familiarize myself with what we should see during the next few kilometers. I was particularly concerned about places where we had to turn off and with landmarks that would tell us we were still on the Trail.
When we got to the next temple, we found that the access road just turned and snaked around the main gate. We went up the stairs and through the gate itself. Somehow not going through the gate did not seem proper.
The temple itself was a long way from the gate and along the way the road followed a steep hillside. I kept wondering, if I went over the edge, how far I would fall before hitting a tree that would act as a brake.
The grounds were well kept but the cherry trees were not yet in bloom, only the pregnant buds turning the world pink. It would have been truly beautiful in another week or two.
One of the buildings have glass sliding doors and inside were wood carvings.

No comments: