Feb 10, 2010

Ian's photos 21

This wonderful statue was just standing there. I assume that the bird is fishing, but for what?
We left the bird in the temple grounds and started up into the hills again. I was constantly amazed at how well kept up most of the trail was. We did not see a single person working on the trail but it was obvious that hundreds of man-hours went in the constant maintenance that was required. I occasionally stopped to replace some rocks or do some other minor action to improve the trail. I frequently wished that I had time to actually join one of the volunteer organizations the work on the trail.
A little bridge over a dry stream. This sort of stream bed was full will wildly flowing water on the days when it rained.
We walked along the main road for a while and then came to a place where the signs (and my map) indicated that we cross the river and climb over the low hills before rejoining the main road. This appeared to be a short cut but it was actually harder walking because the main road was flat, although longer.
The river was a beautiful green color which Ian and I decided must be due to copper deposits in the hills. If it had been summer, rather than spring, I would have been seriously tempted to go swimming.

No comments: