May 16, 2013

Around the neighborhood again

 On of the things that I definitely like about Nakagawa-machi is that way the people fill all the little open spaces with micro-gardens.
 This is the vast field of potatoes that are growing next to my apartment building. Off in the far left corner of the field there is also a patch of negi, long green onions, that are common on the Japanese dinner table.
 Above the word Juicy it says Hair Creative so I assume this must be a beauty shop. I just love the name.
 Decided to follow the shortest of the walks on the map that I got a few days ago. This is a moveable dam that is probably used only during floods. However, in the water behind it I saw fish for the first time. There were some large carp and a school of smaller fish. I assume that the water upstream, where the construction is going on, is too shallow and has too much activity for the fish. It will be interesting to see if there are any next year when all the work is finished.
There is a large park, the Antoku Koen, fairly near my apartment and it was the first stop on the route. In the middle of a large sand covered playground I found this row of carefully trimmed pine trees.

No comments: