May 31, 2013

Walking home from Daitokuji

 This little store sells imitation Japanese armor. I assume that they do most of there business at this time of year, around Boy's Day.
 I continued walking up a long hill and, when I reached the top, I was very surprised to see Mirikaroden in the valley in front of me.
 At the end of the building in the above picture, a driveway is marked by posts in the sidewalk. These posts have LED lights on them and are powered by little solar cells. More and more in Japan, I am finding lighting that is powered by sources other than the electric company. It is obviously a good thing and I hope the trend continues.
 I was getting hungry. My lunch was a sandwich and a sweet that I had bought at a 7/11 near the Shinkansen tracks. The sandwich is interesting because it is called a 'juicy egg sand'. The yolks were not completely cooked so that is the source of the juiciness. Japanese reduces the English word sandwich to sando and writes it in katakana.
 When I reached the bottom of the hill, I turned right and then right again. I was now on a road paralleling the one I had been on but going in the other direction. The building with the photocell lights is in the distant center of the picture.
A large area on my left was devoted to vegetable gardens and there were a number of people at work there.

No comments: