May 18, 2013

Still on course

 This is the kofun from a distance. It is not very big compared to the ones around Kyoto and Nara, but it must have been impressive here when it was build.

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

 These signs point the way toward the next stop on two of the walking courses. I am following the top one.
 My map uses a big symbol for the next shrine which seems to be in the middle of a large block, but it does not show how to get into it. Shrines almost always have  a  lot of trees associated with them, so I suspect that these trees are on the shrine grounds. After a close look at the map, looking at the area around me, and thinking a bit, I decide to go to my left to look for the entrance which will be marked with a torii.
 A short walk and I can actually see the shrine but it has a chain link fence around it so I can not enter from here. In any case, there is a rice paddy between the road and the shrine.
I continue to the left and at an intersection turn left again. I am now on a very narrow road (but one on which two way traffic is legal). The early teens young lady and the two boys might be going to the shrine. It is very common for shrines to have play areas, often including slides, swings, etc. If there is no actual play area there is almost always a large open area in which kids can play. This seems to be especially true for local, neighborhood shrines.

No comments: