May 15, 2008

Telling FIBs

Fibs are an esoteric form of poetry. Like haiku they have a strict structure based on syllables, but unlike haiku's 5-7-5 formate, fibs follow the Fibonacci sequence (0,1,1,2,3,5,8, where except for the first two each term is the sum of the previous two terms). A couple of years ago a started writing fibs to kill time in class while the students were talking in groups. I could walk around the room and look like I was paying attention them, but my mind would be working on a poem.

I have pretty much decided to write a fib everyday during the Henro pilgrimage, so I have started writing them again. Today I took long-cut home and wrote the following. The empty line after the title is the 0 term at the beginning of the sequence.

Rebirth

Brown
Turns
To green
(Seasons change)
Life springs forth anew
The wheel spins, the cycle repeats

Blogs

My
Blog -
Mental
Exercise,
Counting syllables,
Maybe I won't become senile

No comments: