May 29, 2008


This morning I had a single class at Miyagi Gakuin University (MGU). It is a women's university about 6 km from my apartment. The picture is the view from the window of the teachers' room where we part-time teachers have to sign in so that we can get paid and where they have free coffee. The room also contains a table with chairs so that we can work and four soft chairs arranged around a coffee table for relaxing. Best of all, it is no smoking. MGU is more than 100 years old and is a Christian university. However, this does not effect the students too much and from their point of view it is just like every other university. I teach in the English department - first year business English, second year listening and speaking (separate classes with the same students), and academic English in the Grad School.

Today I had second year conversation. The students are very good and well motivated. I really enjoy teaching them. Of course, teaching a room full of thirty 20-year-old women will bring out the best in any male.

Actually I took this picture a few days ago. Today it rained and the clouds came right down to the ground. I walked home anyway.

No comments: