Sep 15, 2008

Respect for the Aged Day

Today is a holiday keironohi (/kay row no he/), Respect for the Aged Day. However, I am not sure I qualify because most of the stuff in the paper talked about people over 70 and I am not quite there yet.

I have not made an entry in this blog for quite a while. I have been very busy. Last week classes began so I had planning for the new semester as well as individual lesson plans to develop. Also last Wednesday Kyoko came from Tokyo and then on Friday she drove Naomi and Tomone home to Kawasaki. Saturday night was the annual BBQ that one of our friends puts on, so I was up until 2 a.m. after eating and drinking much too much. It was a great time though so it was worth it.

Next month my art class is having another two-week long show in the NHK Culture Center and the teacher asked me to submit five drawings for a special 'Charlie Corner'. The other students will have only one or two pictures hung. This means that I have had to spend a lot of time finishing up the pictures, making up titles, etc.

All of that has kept me very busy but I am also walking more than two hours a day, on average. This morning I walked 18.5 km, up the hill to Ian's house and back. Returning home, I took the back roads and passed right in front of the Kannon Tower. It was cloudy so this color picture looks almost like a black and white photo. To get a sense of the size of the tower, notice the windows on the right shoulder and the right side of the chest. These are about a meter square.













On one of the back roads I was very surprised to find this Baptist church. There are not very many Christians here so the buildings are not very big but it was well maintained. Most of the limited number of churches in Sendai, in fact in Japan, are not well maintained because they do not have much money coming in. The Cathoics have a number of churches around but there are only a few other denominations.




Also on the way, I passed some rice paddies that came right up to the edge of the road. This picture shows the rice growing out of the standing water. The tops of the plants reachs to about half way between my knees and my waste.

No comments: