Nov 16, 2010

Near my home 05


This is another picture of the corner where the 7-11 is being built. Just over the bike rider's head, there is a horizontal red sign with yellow circles. That is part of our favorite Chinese restaurant. This week my wife and I went there for lunch on her birthday. That is when I found out about the 7-11.While waiting at the bus stop, I happened to look down at my feet and saw a white emblem of some sort on a manhole cover.
On closer inspection I found that it was quite old. There are two words written on it in hiragana. The one on the bottom is osui, which means sewerage or drainage. The word at the top is the interesting one. It is izumishi and that means Izumi City. Now, when I came to Sendai more than 13 years ago, Izumi was already Izumiku, or Izumi Ward. The city had already been incorporated into the much larger Sendai City. This means that this little plaque has been here for more than 15 years. Considering that it is in amazingly good condition.


No comments: