Nov 19, 2010

Near my home 07


On Thursday mornings I have a class from 8:50 to 10:10. The bus for the subway station leaves at 10:15, so I do not have time to get out to the bus stop and, therefore, must wait for the next bus which leaves at 11:15. On many days I stop and have coffee and chat with a young British friend and colleague. He is the one who replaced me when I retired, but he has now moved to Miyagi Gakuin U where he can teach in his area of specialization, child education. We usually chat until about 11:00 and then I walk out and wait at the bus stop.On the day I took the above picture, I realized for the first time that I could see the hilltop statue of Kannon that can be seen from all over Sendai. If you look carefully, you will find it at the V-shape in the middle of the picture that is formed by the trees. The statue is a little to the right of the telephone poles. The flat roof, by the way, is the entrance/exit to the underground passage that allows pedestrians to get to the other side of the street. It keeps the women out of the traffic.
Here is a shot taken with the telescopic function on the camera. You can see Kannon standing tall.


No comments: