Jan 28, 2011

A new walk around the neighborhood 06

 This is a newly added sign that appeared on day recently on the bank of the river near my apartment complex. You can just see one of the buildings in the upper left corner of the picture. Apparently the sign, which says "left bank 15.5 kilometers",  indicates the distance that you have to travel to reach the ocean. 
 This is an open lot next to our apartment complex (not the building in the picture, which is a small, 4-story building. Part of the lot has been paved for parking but the man who owned (owns?) most of this area still farms a small part of it. I recognized the remains of cabbage and daikons. There are some other plants but I could not tell what they were.

That ended my walk around the neighborhood. For the next few days I will be describing a trip to downtown Sendai.
 This is inside the station. The passageway passes over the tracks for the local train lines and it is the main way to get from one side of the station to the other. There is also a tunnel that goes under the tracks and it is most convenient for people who arrive on the subway or the local trains. You can see the Macdonalds sign and just beyond it, but not visible, is a Starbucks.
This is the taxi stand in front of the station. The white building in the background is a department store and the tall building behind it contains Maruzen, the best bookstore for English books in Sendai. The Sendai Book Club orders the books we read from Maruzen, although I no longer buy them there. I down load them to my Kindle at a much reduced price.

No comments: