Jan 11, 2011

A walk around the neighborhood 05


I decided not to cross the bridge but rather to walk home along the bank of the river that is opposite my apartment. If I cross the bridge, there is no way to get to the river bank, so I have to walk through a housing area. The river bank is a much more pleasant walk.
In some places the reeds are taller than my head. In the summer they block the view entirely but now they make a pretty scene.
Here is what the path actually looks like. The path runs between the river and the houses.
This structure is quite interesting. It appears to have been a moveable dam at one point. However, the large barriers have been removed and only the supports remain. The structure on the left was apparently the mechanism for controlling the water level once the main elements of the dam had been raised. I think that the actual dam was probably removed as part of the recent (last 20 years or so) trend toward less control of the larger waterways, only putting in what is necessary to protect the built up areas.

No comments: