Oct 1, 2009

Day 11 - Some final comments

I just realized that I forgot to include a couple of comments in yesterday's entry.

Because it was so wet and rainy, the woman who ran the place started the bath early. She told us that it would be ready in about half an hour. It was a small bath for only one person at a time. This is in contrast to most of the places where we stayed. Sometimes up to 10 or 12 could use the bath at the same time - more like a swimming pool than a bathtub. Anyway, Ian and I decided that I would go first. After about 35 minutes I walked down to the other end of the floor and, after checking two other small baths, found one with the water running, overflowing, actually. I turned off the water and then undressed in the outer dressing room. On entering the bath itself again, I found a shower and quickly washed myself, anticipating the pleasure of soaking in the hot water. Luckily, when I stepped into the tub, I did so with my right foot, not my left with all the blisters. As the sole of my foot touched the bottom of the tub, I felt a searing pain. I pulled my leg out. It was bright red, so I turned on the cold water in the shower and directed it to my leg. As the pain gradually disappeared, I gingerly touched the surface of the water. It must have been about 50 degrees Celsius. The tip of my finger turned red. Turning on the cold water tap in the tub, I ran it full blast for about 15 minutes before it was down to a reasonable temperature. All the while I stood there naked and wet and getting colder by the minute. Eventually I was able to get in and soak - it was wonderful.

The other thing I meant to tell you about was the lodge and the owners. As you could see from yesterday's pictures, there was a beautiful beach just outside the lodge. It was in a group of about five lodges that all catered to the surfing crowd. In fact the owner and his wife were surfers, who had gotten married and had a child. They said that they still went surfing whenever their duties allowed them a little free time. The lodge itself was specially build and just off to the side of the entrance there was a room with showers for washing wetsuits and a place to dry them. We had left our rain gear hanging in this room, when we arrived. There was also a restaurant that they ran. We had coffee and then lunch there when we first came. The husband was cook and the wife was the waitress. The same arrange applied to our evening meal - he cooked it and she brought it to our rooms.

No comments: