Oct 26, 2009

Day 14 - First thing in the morning

Started out from the Kujira (whale) Lodge very late - 9 a.m. We only had to walk 2 kms to get to the first temple and the second was only 5 more, so we were in no hurry. I had left my white vest somewhere, so I stopped at the gift shop on the right just outside the Main Gate and bought a new one. The woman in the shop gave us four mikans and detailed directions on how to get to the Ocean Shopping Center. Then we left the shop and started up the stairs to the temple. The Main Gate is quite old and at the street level. However, there is another gate part way up the stairs that is newer and more Chinese-looking in style.
Here is Ian just entering the second gate.
There was a delightful little dragon spurting out water to use for washing you hands. I must admit that I really like these little dragon. I'd love to have one in a little garden on our veranda, except that it is too small.

After passing though the second gate we found a row of old statues that sharply contrasted with the second gate. They would have gone nicely with the Main Gate but they were not near it.The lights were on in the Main Hall so I was able to take pictures of the inside. Shingon temples are laid out in a very symmetrical way. Things tend to come in pairs and everything is laid out on rectangular lines. I think that this is part of the esoteric meanings that are relayed from priest to disciple.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dragon is so cool. I like him.

Anonymous said...

Charles,

That was me. Mizuki.

Charles said...

Yes, I really like the dragons. I have been considering doing a drawing of one of them.