Oct 19, 2010

Dou'unji - Cave Cloud Temple 16


Well, I am back from a successful trip to Osaka. The conference went well and my presentation was thought provoking and stirred up a lot of discussion - just what I wanted. Now, today it is back to the usual routine. I have two classes this afternoon and they are both having tests.

Returning to my trip to Dou'unji, we were last in the vicinity of the main hall. The first picture today is the main hall as it is seen from the official entrance road. The road I followed on the way in was actually the road to the priest's housing. I approached the main hall from the rear.

Although short, this road was a very pleasant walk. At some time in the past, they cut out a section of a hill so that the road is less steep than it might be. I wonder if the road was made for the main hall or if the main hall was placed at the end of the road. The answer is not at all apparent from looking at the site.
After taking the last picture, I turned around and took this picture of the section of road I had just walked on. The main hall is a couple of hundred meters off in the distance and a bit to the left.
I found this stone stele but could not read any of the characters because they were so worn by the elements.

No comments: