Apr 24, 2013

My first real walk - At the Jakujyoji temple

 When I got up close to the temple, I found this sign. It gives the name, Jakujyoji in kanji and romaji, and the branch of Buddhism that is practiced here, Jodo Shinshu of the Honganji Branch. On the right of the the sign was a driveway so I decided to enter this way, rather than trying the gate.
 After a short walk uphill, I reached a flat area containing a bell tower and the back of the gate.
 The bell tower was typical of most and provided a nice setting for the temple buildings which were further up the hill.
 This is a statue of Shinran, the Buddhist monk who founded the Jodo Shinshu Branch.
 Up a short flight of stairs and I was in front of the main meditation hall.
The columns supporting the roof have carvings of lions and elephants to protect the building.

No comments: