Apr 25, 2013

My first real walk - At the Jakujyoji temple and then home

 This is a second story enclosed walkway connecting to of the buildings in the temple complex. This is very common in temples and large shrines. The walkway allows the monks and others to move around without having to worry about footwear or coats.
 Back at the bell tower I took this to show the large log hanging on the right that is used to ring the bell. The log is suspended on ropes that are arranged so that the log can swing from right to left. On the bottom of the log is another rope that is used to move the log.
 I left the temple and since I was now facing in the opposite direction from the way I arrived, I noticed that, on the other side of the rice paddies in front of the temple, there was a grave yard for old cars and trucks. I wonder if the monks ever perform ceremonies for them as they do for the human dead.
 I realized how high I had gotten when I turned a corner and had this view of the valley. The straight white line going from left to right across the hills is the track for the Shinkansen.
 On the bridge that I used to recross the Nakagawa River, I found this sign describing the festivals at a local temple. I have yet to visit this particular temple, although I have gone passed it on a bus.
I thought this was interesting and very Japanese. This is what will eventually be the inside of a concrete barrier protecting the riverbank from strong currents. This will be underground when the project is finished but the three workmen here are carefully smoothing the surface, filling in any holes and the lines between  the wooden forms that were used to shape it. It reminded me of all the workers sweeping the dirt of the tops of the blocks that will soon be under water.

No comments: