Nov 24, 2009

Day 17 - Traversing the dilapidated coastline

Here are a couple more views of the boat that I showed you in my last post. Its state seems very symbolic of the way the whole area was - obvious economic hardship, and still going down. It appeared that it was too late for both the boat and the area.

Just a little further on we came to a port that seemed to have more life, but there were many empty berths and the day's fishing appeared to be over.
As we rounded one of the headlands we discovered this torii and the staircase behind it. I would have loved to climb up to the shrine but we did not feel that we had the time. We had a long way to go before reaching our lodge and it looked like it might start raining.
After taking the last picture, I turned around I shot this view of the area we had just walked through. The port that I showed above is behind the seawall on the left.

No comments: