Jun 14, 2010

Oushuu33Kannon Temples 4-5 Part 11

As we reached the top of the stairs, Ian and I found a large group of statues. We were not sure who they were supposed to by or why there were so many identical statues, but they were impressive.I walked up to the door of the main hall and, as I have been able to do at most of the temples, I shot a picture through a space between the two panels of the door.
Walking around behind the main hall, I discovered a small structure containing a statue dressed in a red cape. The signs pasted to the walls seemed to contain names of some kind, but who or what they were was beyond us.
I walked all the way around the main hall and they saw a gate that was even further into the temple grounds. It was obvious that we should go through and find out what was at the top of the stairs that we could see though the door. On the extreme right of the picture you can see some white things hanging from a pole. These are definitely Shinto, but what were they doing on the temple grounds?

No comments: