Jun 12, 2008

Last night I went to a soccer game at Sendai Stadium which is less than a kilometer away from my apartment. I used to get a season ticket and go to every game with my friend Keith, but we gave them up. Our schedules changed so we could not get to many of the games and they were too expensive for a retiree like me. Now we go when we can. They won the game by the way 2-0.


Below is a picture of a very small Shinto shrine that is less than 500 meters from my apartment. The god is the god of the local river and they hold a festival for it during the summer. At the festival, there is a platform built out over the river. The people walk out on the platform and drop a flower (if I remember correctly - I have not been for a couple of years as my friends seem to have parties the same night) as a gift, or I guess I should say bribe for the god. I have no idea what the god's name is, or even if it has a name.

If I am around, I usually go to the festival. There is music and dancing, plus there is a number of booths that sell food, beer and Japanese sake. Most of the people are dressed in yukata, a kind of summer kimono. The atmosphere is more like a carnival that some religious activity.

No comments: