Jun 22, 2008

Let's surfin

Japlish, or Japanese English, is notorious, especially on the directions the come with products made in Japan. Today on Shichigahama I noticed this sign and thought that it was worth sharing. I do not quite understand why a trespasser would want to notify the police, but maybe they want protection from the person who composed the sign.




Surfing is a big pass time here but the waves, even on the best days, are very small. My students think that Let's surfin is proper English. Let's is used in Japanese advertising as a verb and the final g which is often not pronounced is omitted along with the apostrophe which usually indicates the deletion.




The final picture shows one of the hamas, small beaches which lie between high headlands. It was very picturesque. We both enjoyed the walk today, both for the fresh air and for the scenery.

When we got back to my apartment, my wife Masayo made Ian and I pancakes with bacon and coffee. After all the exercise, it tasted wonderful.

No comments: