Aug 12, 2010

Sendai Station and then walking home 04


This is looking back toward Sendai Station, which is the last building you can see.As I was waiting for the light, a group of kindergarten kids arrived. The colored hats designate the classes and there is always a big cart for the youngest kids. Sometimes the kids are all tied together on a long rope. Older kids sometimes just hold a rope. When I first came to Japan, even 10 or 15 years ago, I would have created a sensation when the kids saw me. However, now there are enough foreigners around that they did not even notice me, which is a bit unusual considering my long hair and beard.
Many of the streets in Sendai have lines of trees down the middle. This is one of the things I like about the city - tree lined streets, and also the large number of parks.
This building is typical. The first floor has a clothing store, but all the upper floors are empty. The signs in the window contain the telephone number of the real estate agent. More and more buildings have empty space and even apartment buildings, especially those with small apartments designed for people living alone, have more and more empty space. The economy is definitely not improving yet.

No comments: