Aug 16, 2010

Sendai Station and then walking home 08


This is typical of much of Sendai. They tear down a building that is not being rented and turn it into a parking lot. As far as I can find out, a parking lot brings in between 10,000 and 15,000 per car per month and the taxes are low because there is no building. Even when a space is going to be used for a new building, they usually turn it into a parking lot for six months to a year before construction is started on the new building.
There is a low series of hills between Sendai and my apartment. The road actually only goes over one of them, through a sort of pass. On either side of the road there are higher hills. The beginning of the hill marks the end of Sendai. Of course the house are still densely packed, so the end is psychological rather than physical. On the Sendai side of the hill, at the base, there is a narrow river that is lined with apartment houses.
About half way up the hill there is a gaudy shopping complex that is open 24/7.
A hundred meters before the crest of the pass, there is a building that is completely buried in ivy. I have not been able to tell if anyone lives there or not, but it contains six small apartments.
Between the ivy covered building and the crest is my favorite building in Sendai. I looks to me like something that I would see if I went to somewhere in old Italy.

No comments: