Jul 17, 2011

Between home and Yaotome

 I was having a very interesting morning. After watching the cold war between the hawk and the crow, I passed the fire station where they were doing some sort of drill. They had ropes stretched between the practice tower and the station building. It looked like they were learning to go from rooftop to rooftop across nothing but ropes.
 This shows the group of firemen (I use the sexist term because they really are all men) at the top of the tower.
 Next to my building, someone has filled in one of the holes left by the earthquakes. This is typical of my experience in Japan - something obviously needs to be done and often, not always, but often, someone will come along and do it anonymously.
 The next day when I left home, instead of a crane fishing in the river, I found this young man.
 At the bridge the work on repairing earthquake damage to the photo shop was continuing.
The section of the sidewalk that passes over the little bridge at the top left was badly damaged during the tremors. I posted a picture of the cracks a few days ago. They are obviously going to fill in the area under the bridge and the boards show where the new wall will be constructed. This is typical of construction projects here - I have no idea whether or not it is comparable to that in other countries. The project is framed with boards and then the structure is built to fit.

No comments: