Jul 26, 2011

More random pictures

 These days my activities are very repetitive. I go to school on four days a week, pretty much stay home resting for two days (I am very tired from my teaching schedule and the stress from March and April), and then go to art classes or shopping or rest on the last day. I carry my camera in my pocket and take pictures of anything interesting that I notice but they are not necessarily connected for more than a couple of shots.

This first picture is an example of one of these sudden things popping up. I was walking along the riverside walkway when I heard a strange noise. I looked around and could not see what was making it. The noise sounded like a motor of some kind but what kind I could not tell.
Then I looked up and saw a blimp. I have not seen one in years so it was a pleasant surprise One of my earliest memories is of going up in a blimp during WW2. It was patrolling the sea off the coast of Massachusetts, looking for German submarines. My father was in the US Coast Guard and talked the pilot into taking us up for a ride.
 This is something that we are beginning to see all over the city. The series of earthquakes has separate blocks of pavement and concrete and in the small space that this created plants are starting to grow. This is obviously going to enlarge the spaces as the roots start to expand. I expect that over the next few years we will find that much of the minor damage becomes more important. Also notice all the cracks on the surface of the road.
 This is what used to be the figurine store. It has been repainted and there is a large sign in the window (behind the tree) saying that the store is available for renting.
 This nearby billboard also reflects the economic condition. There is no ad on it, but it has been repainted and a small sign posted on it saying that it is available.
 This is the billboard from the other side. The old figurine store is directly behind it and the store on the right which is between them is also empty and for rent.
This is an auto dealership near Tohoku Gakuin U that is finally getting the damage repaired. It has been open but parts of the building were obviously damaged.

No comments: